If you have been looking for something to do outdoors during the winter, but have already skied (perhaps at the nearby Hunter Mountain) – this is the adventure for you (and up to 5 of your best friends, family, or new hiking friends). We strongly recommend that you have prior hiking experience before coming on this hike (or have completed one of our other guided hikes) – if this is your first time, please let us know, and we will ask you to arrive a bit early for an orientation session.
The trip will begin near Palenville, New York with a quick introduction/gear up, and then continue down and into the frozen areas of the Catskills’ pristine waterfalls and gorges. When conditions are just right – we will also venture into a massive ice cave, where blue ice and red rock meet for an incredible display of nature’s wonder.
- Dates available ranging from mid-November to mid-April
- All skill levels accommodated, but some prior hiking experience strongly encouraged
- Approximately 4 hours in duration, covering approximately 3.5 miles
- Moderately strenuous and easy/moderate difficulty
- Begins near Palenville, New York (2.5 hours from New York City)
- 18+ (or 14+ with parent/legal guardian present)
- Maximum group size of 6
- Aerial Tour’ with drone that gives high level view of surrounding areas with photos and video sent after hike
- Water bottles, snacks (beef jerky, fruit, trail mix, cheese and crackers, etc) are provided
- High quality iPhone pictures, both candid and posed, are taken by tour guide throughout trip
What You’ll Need
- Sturdy, closed toed shoes. Hiking boots are strongly encouraged.
- Warm, synthetic or insulated socks, gloves, and hat. NO COTTON!
- Base layer of clothing – ‘long johns’, thermals, or any other thin material that is not cotton.
- Winter Jacket(s) – available to borrow, if needed.
- Signed Liability Waiver
We provide the ice cleats needed for hiking in the winter on slippery terrain, and will work to get you comfortable wearing them and using them prior to any difficult sections of the hike.
Ice hiking adventures begin at $80 per person, or $450 for groups of up to 6. A minimum of two guests are required for a booking, but we occasionally offer “solo hiker” days where you can join an existing group for $80. Please inquire about available dates using the form below!